Providing care for a senior or someone with a disability can be an incredibly complex situation. Please review some of the resources listed below to aid in your efforts.
Caregiver Support Groups
NEI3A offers support groups in the following areas:
New Hampton (Chickasaw County):
- 2nd Wednesday of each month at 2:00 p.m.
- New Hampton Public LIbrary, 20 West Spring Street, New Hampton
Decorah (Winneshiek County)
- 3rd Monday of the month at 10:00 a.m.
- Aase Haugen Nursing Home, 4 Ohio Street, Decorah
Waukon (Allamakee County)
- 3rd Monday of each month at 1:30 p.m.
- Veterans Memorial Hospital, Lower Level Large Conference Room, 40 1st Street SE, Waukon
- Caring for Aging Parents presented by: Elaine Eshbaugh,UNI assistant professor, School of Applied Human Sciences. Caring for older loved ones is a concern for many families and individuals. It is estimated that 34 million Americans are unpaid caregiver for older adult friends or family members. This webinar will discuss needs and challenges of aging families. Topics will include practical and emotional dimensions of decision making regarding issues such as nursing homes, Alzheimer's and dementia and end of life care.
- mmLearn.org offers a wide variety of education and training for caregivers.
- Care Crossroads is a "community of care" web site designed to help family caregivers meet other caregivers, learn about Alzheimer's disease and related illnesses, and connect "live" with experts.
Local Library Resources
Check your local library for the following resources:
- The Magic of Humor in Caregiving by James R. Sherman
- Preventing Caregiver Burnout by James R. Sherman
- Positive Caregiver Attitudes by James R. Sherman
- The Emotional Survival Guide for Caregivers: Looking After Yourself and Your Family While Helping an Aging Parent by Barry J. Jacobs
- The Caregiver’s Essential Handbook: More than 1,200 Tips to Help You Care for and Comfort the Seniors in Your Life by Sandra Choron and Sasha Carr
- Eldercare 911: The Caregiver’s Complete Handbook for Making Decisions by Susan Beerman and Judith Rappaport-Musson
- My Turn: Caring for Aging Parents & Other Elderly Loved Ones: A Daughters Perspective by Sandra W. Haymon
- Passages in Caregiving: Turning Chaos into Confidence by Gail Sheehy
- Coping with Alzheimer’s: A Caregiver’s Emotional Survival Guide by Rose Oliver
- Facing Alzheimer’s: Family Caregivers Speak by Patricia Brown Coughlan
- It Takes More Than Love: A Practical Guide to Taking Care of an Aging Adult by Anita G. Beckerman
- The Home Care Companion’s Quick Tips for Caregivers by Marion Karpinski
- Stages of Senior Care: Your Step-by-Step Guide to Making the Best Decisions by Paula Hogan the 36-hour Day: A Family Guide to Caring for Persons with Alzheimer Disease, Related Dementing Illnesses, and Memory Loss in Later Life by Nancy L. Mace
- The Moon in the Water: Reflections of an Aging Parent by Kathy J. Phillips
- A Survival Guide for Family Caregivers, Strength, Support and Sources of Help for All Those Caring for Aging or Impaired Family Members by Jo Horne