Dementia Friendly Communities
What is Dementia Friendly Cedar Valley?
Dementia Friendly Cedar Valley exists to promote change and education in the community in order to create a more informed, safe, and respectful place for people living with dementia and their caregivers. As the number of people living with dementia in our community increases, so must our awareness and ability to serve this population. The movement is supported by the Northeast Iowa Area Agency on Aging and is a part of the greater Dementia Friendly America movement. The progress in the Cedar Valley is driven by an action team that meets monthly to discuss improvements that can be made in the community to best serve people living with dementia and their caregivers. One of the main priorities of the movement is community awareness and education. Our action team of trainers consists of several experts in the area, including people living with dementia, a Certified Dementia Practitioner, and a professor of gerontology who is considered an expert on dementia.
Check out the Dementia Friendly Cedar Valley Facebook page for progress updates.
What is a Dementia Friendly Business/Organization?
A dementia friendly business/organization is one in which the management and staff are educated about dementia. They are able to recognize signs of dementia in costumers/clients. In turn, they are also able to communicate effectively with patience and understanding. A dementia friendly business/organization also works to develop and maintain business practices that keep people living with dementia in mind. They are prepared, knowledgeable, and compassionate when it comes to serving this population. In order to become a Dementia Friendly Cedar Valley partner, the business/organization must accomplish the following items.
What does my business/organization have to do to be recognized as a Dementia Friendly business?
- Host or attend a training presented by a dementia friendly trainer
- Register for a training here
- Train a minimum of 50% of staff/volunteers with a goal of 100%
- Agree to discuss and consider dementia friendly environmental changes
- Agree to support people living with dementia and caregivers as much as possible
In return for attending the training, this business/organization will:
- Receive a “Dementia Friendly Business” certificate and window decal for a storefront
- Be recognized as a Dementia Friendly Cedar Valley partner
- Become featured on the Dementia Friendly Cedar Valley Facebook page
- More confidently be able to identify a customer/client who may have dementia
- More effectively communicate with a person living with dementia
- Receive recommendations about how to modify business practices to best serve people living with dementia and their caregivers
Fill out this form to register for the training.